Bristol City vs Gillingham – 1st vs 14th
After victory at Yeovil in midweek, table toppers Bristol City welcome Gillingham to Ashton Gate in search of their 6th straight win in a row. City extended their lead over Preston to 13 points but the Lilywhites do have 2 games in hand. The Robins will be looking for maximum points in their next two home matches before they face Walsall in the final of the JPT at Wembley. Gillingham come into the game gaining a point off playoff chasers Doncaster at home last week and will be looking for Cody McDonald to add to his 14 goals in the league with 3 in his last 5. The Gills sit securely in mid table just 4 points of the playoffs.
- Bristol City best home record in the division – winning 13 out of 17 and only losing 2
- Tomorrow’s clash will be City’s 11th game in 5 weeks with no midweek break since start of February
- Gillingham unbeaten in last 4 on the road – winning 2 and drawing 2
- Gills only won 4 out of 17 away from home
- Gillingham failed to win last 7 meetings between sides with only 2 wins in 12 against City
- Luke Freeman has most league assists with 12
Prediction – Bristol City 3-1 Gillingham
Chesterfield vs Coventry – 10th vs 20th
Chesterfield are in search of their 3rd straight win as they face Coventry on Saturday after bouncing back from 4 consecutive defeats. The Spirities picked up a valuable away win at MK Dons last weekend as they push for a play off place, sitting just 4 points of 6th placed Doncaster. Coventry sit just 1 point above the relegation zone and had to settle with a draw at home to Bradford in midweek. Tony Mowbray has recently been appointed to try and save the Midlands club from potential relegation. The Sky Blues will be pushing for a result as the bottom 4 clubs face each other tomorrow but they do play 5 of the bottom 7 in their last 7 games.
- 8 of Chesterfield’s league wins have come at home
- Lost 2 of last 3 at home
- 6 points from last 18 available with 2 wins
- Coventry 1 win in 11 but 2 wins in last 8 away from home
- 14 of 37 points come away from Rioch Arena
- Chesterfield have 1 win in 9 against Coventry but this season was the first time the sides had met in 53 years
Prediction – Chesterfield 2-1 Coventry
Colchester vs Crawley – 22nd vs 23rd
A relegation six pointer awaits in Colchester as two of the bottom four meet with a win for either side possibly moving them to a point of safety. The U’s are hoping to bounce back from 3 consecutive defeats and face 2 of the bottom 4 in their next two games. With Orient facing Yeovil, the game provides an opportunity for either side to give them chance of survival. Crawley come into the game with back to back defeats against Bristol City and Bradford. The Red Devils face two away trips this week, getting a result is imperative to gain momentum in last 9 games of the season.
- Only Leyton Orient have worst home record than Colchester – U’s only picked up 14 points at home this season
- Only picked up 10 points from 36 since Christmas
- 2 wins in 8 at home including a 3-2 victory over Bristol City
- Crawley have 2 wins in 7 and only 3 wins in last 25 in the league
- Have worst away record in the league with just 2 win from 17 matches
- Colchester have never beaten Crawley – 3 draws and 2 defeats
Prediction – Colchester 1-0 Crawley
Doncaster vs Peterborough – 6th vs 8th
2 play off hopefuls battle it out at the Keepmoat as Posh travel to face Doncaster. Both teams sit on 50 points, with Doncaster occupying last play off spot on goal difference. Doncaster have drew their last 2 games, giving the chasing pack a chance to catch them up. Donny face a tough run of games with 3 games against teams around them and 2 against the top 4. Harry Forrester could be key as he has netted 2 in his last 2 for Donny but they need wins to maintain place in top 6.
Posh arrive at Donny with 3 straight wins since Dave Robertson took over as Caretaker after Darren Ferguson left. Peterborough face two away trips to Donny and Preston, if they are to gain a play off place come the end of the season then they will need to pick up results away. Robertson has given team freedom in their play and could continue form at Donny to give them a chance of third consecutive play off finish.
- Donny 3 wins out of last 4 at home
- Only 1 win in last 5 home and away
- Only picked 8 points from last 18 available
- Posh picked up 12 points from last 18
- But only 1 win in last 4 on the road
- Peterborough have not won in last 8 meetings between sides with Donny winning 6 of them
- Last two games have been draws
Prediction – Doncaster 0-1 Peterborough
Fleetwood vs Rochdale – 12th vs 13th
Rochdale travel to face Fleetwood as both teams find themselves just a win outside the playoffs. Fleetwood will be looking to build on a fine 2-1 victory away at Sheffield United last week but will need to continue form if the are to challenge for a play off place. The Cod Army have only lost 3 games at home and have drew against MK, Bristol City, Swindon and Sheff Utd.
Dale come in to game after back to back wins after a poor run of form seeing just 1 win in 7 in all competitions. Fleetwood beat Rochdale 2-0 at Spotland earlier in the season but Dale will be hoping their early season away form can see a win. Ian Henderson will be hoping to continue scoring rate with 4 in his last 5 and 3 in his last 2 Dale appearances.
- 3 wins in 6 for Fleetwood
- Unbeaten in their last 4 at home
- 10 point from last 18 available
- Dale won 7 away from home but only 2 wins in last 8 after winning 5 of their first 7 on the road
- 8 points from last 24 away from Spotland
- Dale’s only game against a top half side in next 5
- Fleetwood have won 2 of last 3 meetings
Prediction – Fleetwood 1-1 Rochdale
Leyton Orient vs Yeovil –21st vs 24th
Orient host bottom side Yeovil on the back of 2 straight defeats against Peterborough and Bristol City. The O’s can jump out of the bottom 4 with a win as they only sit one point behind 20th placed Coventry. Orient will be without Romain Vincelot who was ruled out for the rest of the season with a knee injury in midweek. Orient face 2 of the bottom 4 in their next 3 games and will be needing results if they are to stay up.
Yeovil travel to East London on the back of a 3-1 defeat in midweek to Bristol City but will be buoyed by their last minute win at home to Oldham last week. If the Glovers are to prevent back to back relegation’s the next two game are pivotal as they travel to Colchester in midweek. Orient brushed Yeovil aside 3-0 at Christmas but will find a tougher outfit under caretaker boss, Terry Skiverton.
- Orient worst home record in the league – winning just 3 games
- 1 win in last 6 at home – losing the other 5
- Yeovil 2 wins from last 11 games
- No win in last 7 on the road
- Yeovil failed to score in half of their matches – 18 out of 36
- Yeovil 2 wins in 9 at Brisbane Road
Prediction – Leyton Orient 2-1 Yeovil
Notts County vs Bradford – 19th vs 9th
County look to bounce back from a 3-0 loss away at Swindon as they sit just 6 points above the relegation zone. Notts have two home game against top half sides this week but will need to put performance together to keep gap between themselves and bottom 4. Bradford travel to Meadow Lane with one eye on their quarter final replay against Reading in the F.A. Cup on Monday night. The Bantams drew away at Coventry in midweek but have only scored 6 goals in their last 7 as they push for a play off place, sitting just 1 point behind places.
- Notts have 2 wins in 10 – picking up just 7 points from 30
- 1 home win in 9 and have lost the last 4 by the odd goal
- Only Orient and Colchester have worst home record than County
- Bradford 1 win in 6 in all competitions
- 2 wins in 6 on the road – including a 4-2 win away at Chelsea
- 13 points from last 30 available
- Bradford have won 2 of last 4 meetings
Prediction – Notts County 0-1 Bradford
Oldham vs Barnsley – 15th vs 7th
Oldham welcome former boss Lee Johnson back to Boundary Park as they hope to bounce back from a last minute defeat at Yeovil after taking the lead. The Lactics still have appointed a manager since Johnson left and have only 1 win in last 5, away at Port Vale. Oldham only sit 4 points outside the playoffs but will need a run of results if the are to challenge the play off places.
Barnsley travel to Oldham looking for their 6th straight win as Johnson has started his managerial career well at Oakwell. Barnsley themselves only sit outside the playoffs on goal difference and are one of the form sides in the division. The Tykes travel away to Leyton Orient in midweek and face teams who will be battling for every single point available. The sides only played each other on 3rd February with Barnsley winning 1-0.
- Oldham 2 home wins in 9 in all competitions – last home win 2-1 victory over Swindon
- Only 6 points from last 18 available
- 5 goals scored in last 8 games and face a run of 5 games in 14 days
- Barnsley won last 2 away games but before without a win in 7
- Only 18 of 50 points come away from home
- George Waring netted 4 in his last 3
- Tykes 5 straight wins – scoring 8 and conceding 0.
- Only top 2 have better record over last 6 games
- Barnsley have won 3 of last 4 meetings with Oldham failing to score in those defeats
Prediction – Oldham 0-2 Barnsley
Port Vale vs Swindon – 11th vs 3rd
Vale host Swindon at Vale Park as the host look for their 5th win in 6 games. Vale beat Coventry 3-2 last time out but face a tough test in coming games, facing 2 of the top 5 in next 3 fixtures. Vale only sit 2 points outside the play off places and have recently beaten Sheffield United to show they can compete with top sides.
Swindon are hoping to keep upward momentum from their 3-0 home win over Notts County with that being only their 2nd win in 7. The Robins poor form in recent weeks has seen Bristol City and Preston gain a lead but Swindon will be hoping to close the gap with a win. Swindon still have to face their promotion rivals so still have a strong chance of promotion to the Championship.
- Vale won 1 in 4 at home with 4 points from 12
- 4th in form table with 12 points from last 18 available
- Mark Marshall scored 4 in his last 6 for Vale
- Swindon 3rd in away table with only top 2 gaining more points on the road
- Only lost 5 away all season but 3 of those defeats have come in last 4 away games
- 1 point from last 12 available on the road
- Swindon have won the last 6 meetings between sides – Vale last won in 2007
Prediction – Port Vale 1-2 Swindon
Preston vs Crewe – 2nd vs 18th
Promotion chasers Preston welcome Crewe to Deepdale looking for their 6th win in 7 games as they hope to keep lead over 3rd placed Swindon. Preston will be buoyed with their 2-0 win at MK Dons last week and will be looking for maximum points from their 2 home matches this week. Joe Garner has netted 2 in his last 3 games and could add to his league tally of 15 on Saturday.
Crewe picked up their 1st win in 5 after victory at home to Scunthorpe last week but face the top 2 away from home this week. Alex sit 7 points above relegation, but will need to put a storng performance in as 3 of the top 5 play Alex in their next 4. The sides drew 1-1 at Gresty Road earlier but Preston are in the in form side in the division as they look to secure the 2nd automatic spot.
- No team has picked up more points in last 6 than Preston – 16 from last 18
- Only 1 defeat at home in league – unbeaten since November
- Have best defensive record in the league and have not lost when they have scored
- Picked up 55 points from 63 when scored the first goal
- Only conceded 5 in last 9 games
- Crewe have 2nd worst away record in league with 14 points from 17 games
- 7 points from last 18 available
- Scored 34 goals in 35 league matches – only Yeovil have scored less
- Crewe have won 4 of the last 5 meetings
Prediction – Preston 2-0 Crewe
Scunthorpe vs Sheff Utd – 17th vs 5th
Scunthorpe host Sheffield United as they look for their first win in 6 after defeat away at Crewe last week. They face the Blades twice in 10 days due to United’s cup involvement earlier in the season. The Iron only sit 7 points above the relegation zone, with sides around them playing each other, the gap could be closed if they fail to pick a result up.
United travel to Glanford Park after back to back home defeats to Fleetwood and Peterborough. The Blade sit 5th on 53 point but only have a 3 point lead over chasing pack and will need to be weary if their form does not improve. United have played the top 4 home and away with all of their remaining games against sides below them in the league. With MK stuttering just above them, if the Blades put a run together they could catch the Dons.
- Scunny have 2 wins in last 4 home matches – including victory over 3rd placed Swindon
- 5 points from last 18 available – only Yeovil and Walsall have picked up less in same period
- Sheffield have 1 win in 5 and without a win in 3
- Have won 3 of their last 4 on the road – including a victory at Bristol City coming from behind
- Scored in 21 of their last 22 games but conceded in their last 10
- Only picked up 8 points from last 18 available
- Scunthorpe failed to win in last 5 meetings with last win back in 2011
Prediction – Scunthorpe 1-2 Sheffield United
Walsall vs MK Dons – 16th vs 4th
Two out of form teams battle it out at the Banks Stadium on Saturday as the home side look for only their 2nd win in 7 games. The Saddlers face three of the top four in next 3 matches including the JPT final against Bristol City at Wembley. The Birmingham based side have only won 2 of their 9 games since reaching Wembley and certainly have one eye on the trip in 9 days time.
Mk travel to Birmingham with 5 defeats in their last 7 games including a 2-0 home defeat to promotion rivals Preston last week. The Dons sit 4 points behind second placed Preston and dropped down to fourth after Swindon’s victory. It is set to be a three horse race for 2nd automatic spot as Bristol City have a 13 point lead over Preston. Karl Robinson’s men will need to pick up form quickly otherwise they might be left behind in the search of promotion to the Championship.
- Walsall have 1 in last 7 home games – only scoring 6 goals
- Have only won 5 games at home but have beaten Preston and drew with Sheff Utd
- No team has collected less points over last 6 games – 4 point from 18
- Mk have only won 1 of last 4 away games picking up 26 of their 62 away – 41%
- Only Bristol City (70) have scored more goals than the Dons (68) in the league
- Walsall won 3-0 at MK earlier in the season and have won 2 of last 3 meetings
Prediction – Walsall 1-1 MK Dons