Sutton United assistant coach Micky Stephens is relishing his side battle for the play offs. The U’s sit three points from the play offs and host league leaders Leyton Orient tomorrow but will be looking to upset them. Sutton became the first team to beat orient this season back in September and Stephens is “looking forward to the test” (SUFCTV)
- Sit 9th on 64 points – three points off playoffs
- Two wins in last four games – W2 D1 L1
- Only two wins in last 11 games – W2 D3 L6
- League Record – P42 W17 D13 L12 F52 A52
The U’s head into the clash on the back of a stoppage time win at Boreham Wood last weekend. Midfielder Harry Beautymen stroked them ahead before Ricky Shakes levelled the scores. But Craig Eastmond headed home in added time to keep their play off fight going. Assistant coach Micky Stephens stated to SUFCTV “we have all got a smile on our face today. It’s always good to win with a last minute winner and I thought if anyone deserved it might have been us”.
- Failed to score in 11 league games (six at home)
- Scored in last two games
- Netted in three of their last four games – scoring eight goals
- Scored 30/52 league goals in second half
- Six of their last eight goals have been scored in second period
Sutton got off to a great start against the Wood with Harry Beautymen’s early strike and Stephens praised his sides fast start but admits his side ground out victory in the end. Speaking to SUFCTV “I thought we played well in the opening 20-25 minutes, we were solid. There wasn’t as many clear cut chances as we would have liked.”. Ricky Shakes levelled just before the half hour mark with Stephens far from impressed in how his side ended the half but grabbed the important winner, “ it looked like it was going to end in a stalemate but we ended up taking the points”.
- Kept 13 league clean sheets (seven at home)
- No Clean sheet in last nine games
- One clean sheet in last 11 games
- No clean sheet in last four home games – Two in last nine home games
- Conceded 32/52 league goals in second half
It has been a testing period for Sutton after Paul Doswell’s decision to take a break from football until August. However after their victory Micky Stephens feels his side are back in the mix and anything can happen in the final few fixtures. Speaking to SUFCTV “we said in their, it’s never over. There’s four to go, we’ve had a difficult two or three weeks for a number of reasons but we have got that smile back on our face today. It was needed and the players deserved a little bit aswell. We haven’t played particularly well, we hold our hands up, but we were solid today”.
- Home League Record – P21 W9 D8 L4 F27 A24
- Unbeaten in their last two games – W1 D1
- Only won one of their last six – W1 D3 L2
- Won six of their eight home games against current top 10
Sutton are definitely an outside to reach the end of season shoot out with their run in but with several of their rivals playing each other, they should be twists and turns. After finishing 3rd last season, Stephens is hoping for the lottery of the play offs. Speaking to SUFCTV “we’ve got two easy games coming up, Orient and Wrexham. With a make shift back four and just about fielding five subs. We look forward though”.
Captain Jamie Collins is out for the season while Aswad Thomas remain suspended. Jon Barden looks set to continue in defence with Tom Bolarinwa with the U’s struggling for fit defenders. Harry Beautymen should continue in midfield and face his former club.
Head to Head – Sutton United 2, Draw 0, Leyton Orient 1
Last Time Out – 06/04/2019 – Boreham Wood 1-2 Sutton United
Prediction – Sutton United 1-2 Leyton Orient